The Department of Economic and Technological Change (Prof. Joachim von Braun) of the Center for Development Research, University of Bonn invites applications for the position
Senior Researcher (E13or E14) – Economics of ‘Water, sanitation and hygiene Nexus’
beginning Feb 01, 2013 or as soon as available (initial appointment until April 30, 2015).
The successful candidate will work on a project on ‘Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene and Agriculture nexus’. The study countries with local community and household research are Ethiopia, Ghana, India and Bangladesh. The research in collaboration with local partners will focus on guiding pro-poor investments in the nexus among domestic water quality and quantity; sanitation and hygiene; and related links to agriculture / irrigation. The thematic areas are broadly defined as follows:
- Assessment of water and sanitation nexus: synergies and tradeoffs
- Exploring the links and dynamics therein for water, sanitation, hygiene and irrigation agriculture
- Identification of optimal water and sanitation investment strategies for a better health and nutrition outcome (incl. experimental approaches)
- Strengthening capacity of households and communities for an improved monitoring of water and sanitation environment (incl. experimental approaches)
Main duties and responsibilities (but not limited to):
- Conducting high quality research in the above mentioned and related thematic areas
- Organizing project related workshops and seminars in the research countries
- Drafting new relevant research proposals as necessary and applicable
- Tutoring PhD students’ in the project and other ZEF PhD students related to the theme
- Participating in the ZEF Disciplinary and interdisciplinary courses teaching program related to the theme
- PhD in Health Economics, or Agricultural economics, Experimental economics, Natural resource economics or related field.
- Sufficient knowledge of STATA, GAMS and software packages desirable.
- Research experience in developing countries is desirable
- Excellent English speaking and writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team spirit
Application deadline: until position is filled.
To apply, please send by email letter of interest, Resume and names of three references (write “WATSAN-Postdoc” in the subject line) to:
Center for Development Research (ZEF), University of Bonn
Dept. of Economics and Technological Change
The Center for Development Research (www.zef.de) is an international and interdisciplinary research institute of the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-University of Bonn, Germany. ZEF is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates. Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.